How to Fully Stock a Home Bar: A Comprehensive Checklist
Alcohols to Include in a Home BarWhen it comes to stocking a home bar, it can be overwhelming to decide what types of alcohol to include. However, sticking to a few popular options will provide a solid foundation for mixing a variety of cocktails. The five must-have alcohols for a home bar are vodka, gin, tequila, whisky, and rum. These five types of alcohol can be used to make a variety of classic cocktails such as martinis, margaritas, and old fashioneds. Additionally, some wine options, beer, and champagne can also be added to the mix to cater to guests’ preferences. Vodka is a clear, neutral spirit that mixes well with juices, sodas, and other alcohols. It’s a very versatile alcohol that can be used to make a variety of cocktails such as Moscow mules, Bloody Marys, and cosmopolitans. Gin is a clear spirit that has a strong juniper flavor. It’s used for making classic cocktails such as gin and tonics, martinis, and negronis. Tequila is a distilled spirit made from the blue agave plant. It’s used in popular cocktails such as margaritas and tequila sunrises. Whisky is a distilled spirit made from grains such as malted barley, corn, wheat, and rye. Depending on the type of whisky, it can be used for making classic cocktails such as Manhattans, whiskey sours, and old fashioneds. Rum is a distilled alcohol made from sugarcane juice or molasses. It’s used for making classic cocktails such as piña coladas, daiquiris, and mojitos.
Essential Tools for a Home BarHaving the right tools is important for creating cocktails that are well-measured and well-made. Here are the essential tools for a home bar:
- Jigger: A tool used for measuring liquid ingredients.
- Shaker: A tool used for mixing ingredients together.
- Strainer: A tool used for separating ice and solids from cocktails.
- Muddler: A tool used for mashing ingredients such as herbs or fruits.
- Corkscrew: A tool used for opening wine bottles.
- Bottle opener: A tool used for opening beer bottles.
Must-Have Drinksware for a Home BarTo serve cocktails properly, having the right drinksware is necessary. Here are the must-have drinksware for a home bar:
- Highball glasses: Used for tall cocktails, such as gin and tonics and mojitos.
- Lowball glasses: Used for short cocktails, such as old fashioneds and negronis.
- Martini glasses: Used for serving up cocktails, such as martinis and cosmopolitans.
- Wine glasses: Used for drinking wine, having a couple of red wine glasses and white wine glasses is recommended.
- Shot glasses: Used for serving small amounts of alcohol, such as tequila shots.
Cocktails Recipes for a Home BarHaving a few cocktail recipes up your sleeve will impress guests and make hosting easier. Here are a few classic cocktail recipes: Margarita:
- 1 ½ ounces tequila
- 1 ounce lime juice
- ½ ounce triple sec
- Salt for rimming the glass
- 1 ½ ounces whiskey
- 1 sugar cube
- 2 dashes of Angostura bitters
- Orange twist for garnish
- 1 ½ ounces gin
- 4 ounces tonic water
- Lime wedge for garnish