The benefits of tackling the kitchen remodel firstWhen it comes to renovating a home, there are several areas that need attention, such as the bathrooms, bedrooms, and living areas. However, if you’re wondering what should be the first on your list, the answer is simple – the kitchen. The kitchen is the heart of the home, and therefore, a kitchen remodel can drastically improve the appearance and functionality of your home. Besides, remodeling the kitchen early on creates a clean and efficient working environment for other remodeling projects. Some benefits of tackling the kitchen remodel first include:
- Improved functionality: Updating appliances, installing additional storage, or adding an island can significantly improve the function of your kitchen.
- Increased home value: A kitchen remodel is known to have one of the highest returns on investment. It can add value to your home and attract potential buyers if you’re planning to sell your home in the future.
- Boosts aesthetic appeal: A new kitchen can transform the entire look of your home. You can choose modern or classic styles to suit your preferences and add a luxurious feel to your home.
Steps to minimize the mess during a renovationRenovations can be messy, and the thought of dust and debris can be overwhelming. However, there are steps to minimize the mess during a renovation, such as:
- Sealing off the work area: While tackling a kitchen remodel, cover the openings of the kitchen with recycled plastic to seal off the work area from the rest of the house.
- Protecting floors and walls: Cover floors and walls with drop cloths or cardboard to prevent damage and staining from debris.
- Clearing out items: Remove all items from the work area, such as pictures, decorative objects, or small appliances.
- Cleaning up: Ensure the work area is cleaned each night to minimize the chances of dirt and debris spreading outside the work area.
Why new finishes or paint can be easily damagedNew finishes or paint can easily be damaged, especially if not handled correctly during a renovation. For example, if you’re working on the kitchen remodel and there’s scaffolding, debris can accidentally fall onto nearby walls and finishes, causing damage. Additionally, newly installed finishes, such as countertops, cabinets, and fixtures, can become scratched or damaged if not covered properly with protective covering. Therefore, it’s important to consider tackling your kitchen remodel first to minimize the risk of damaging new finishes or paint.
Other areas to consider renovating early onWhile the kitchen remodel should be your first priority, there are other areas to consider renovating early on, such as:
- Bathroom: Updating the bathroom fixtures and painting or replacing tiles can add value and refresh the appearance of your home.
- Windows: Replacing old windows with new ones can increase energy efficiency, save on heating and cooling bills, and create a more comfortable living environment.
- Roof: Fixing a leaking roof or adding insulation can prevent further damage, increase energy efficiency and save on water bills, and create a safer living environment.
Creating a renovation plan and timelineA renovation plan and timeline can help to keep your project organized, focused, and within budget. The plan should include:
- List of renovation items: A comprehensive list of all the items you need to renovate.
- Timeline: A realistic timeline of the project, with deadlines well-suited to your budget and goals.
- Design considerations: A cohesive design scheme for all areas that you plan to renovate.
- Budget management: A well-planned budget that incorporates all renovation costs, including the contractor’s fees and materials.