Introduction to Double Wide HomesIn today’s housing industry, double-wide homes have become increasingly popular due to their affordability and convenience, making them an attractive option for many families. Double-wides are essentially manufactured homes made up of two separate units that are designed to provide extra space for living, while still meeting the strict safety and engineering standards set by various governing agencies. With a variety of sizes and dimensions, double-wides have been able to accommodate different family sizes and lifestyles.
Defining the Smallest Double-Wide HomeDouble-wides come in different sizes, but the smallest size available is 704 square feet. The size of each unit that makes up a double-wide home is approximately 8-14 feet wide and 36-80 feet long. The overall size of the double-wide home will depend on the number of sections used to create the house. Looking at the most compact dimension of a double-wide home, it must have a width of at least 20 feet and a length of 36 feet to accommodate two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen, a living room, and a dining area. With this in mind, it is easy to see how versatile and adaptable double-wide homes are and can easily cater to families of different sizes and lifestyles.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Compact Double WidesAs with any type of home, a compact double-wide home comes with a list of advantages and disadvantages. Here are some of the pros and cons of choosing a smaller double wide home: Advantages:
- Lower cost per square foot compared to traditional homes
- Easier to finance and qualify for home loans
- Quick and easy installation
- More energy-efficient compared to larger homes
Interesting Read What are the 4 steps of a closing process for a home? Your guide to a successful homebuying journey.
- Less space can equal feelings of being cramped or crowded
- Difficult to accommodate large families or guests
- Less privacy due to smaller square footage and open floor plans
Choosing the Right Dimensions for Your LifestyleOne of the biggest benefits of double-wide homes is their customizable nature. Depending on your family’s lifestyle, you can choose the right dimensions that will best suit your needs. For example, if you’re a couple with no children, a 2-bedroom, 1-bathroom double-wide will suffice. However, if you have a larger family or frequently host guests, then a larger model with at least 3-bedrooms and 2-bathrooms will be a better fit. Consider different configurations and layouts that make the most sense for you and your individual needs.
Innovative Space-Saving Solutions for Small Double WidesWhen space is at a premium, especially in a compact double-wide, creative solutions to space problems become a necessity. Luckily, there are a variety of innovative solutions that can make even the tiniest double-wide home feel much larger. Here are a few ideas:
- Multi-functional furniture (e.g. beds that double as storage units, convertible sofas, etc.)
- Wall-mounted storage shelves and cabinets to save floor space
- Sliding doors instead of hinged doors to save space
- Utilizing vertical space with shelving units and hanging organizers
- Open floor plans, which create the illusion of a larger space and give you more room to move around