- French country decor tends to include small birds and farm animals as decorative accents, bringing a touch of whimsy and rustic charm into the space.
- English country decor, on the other hand, showcases hunting scenes with horses and dogs as the main motif, giving the room a traditional and sophisticated feel.
- Both styles, however, feature natural elements and materials such as wood and stone, as well as neutral color palettes with pops of pattern and color
- When it comes to wall decor, English country style typically features botanical designs and nature prints, while French country decor is more likely to include antique mirrors or tapestries.
- It is also worth noting that both styles emphasize warmth and comfort, with plush seating and cozy textiles being important features.
- Finally, dark wood floors with wide boards are a hallmark of country style, appearing in both French and English designs.
The Aesthetic of French Country DecorFrench country decor is all about creating a warm and charming ambiance. This design style is typically inspired by the French countryside and rural life. French country decor is filled with elegant furnishing, natural materials and classic lines. The aesthetic is all about creating an inviting and comfortable space that’s both practical and beautiful. Some common elements of French Country decor include:
- Soft, muted colors such as lavender, pale blue and mustard yellows
- Natural materials such as wood, stone and linen
- Floral prints and patterns on fabrics and wallpaper
- Wrought iron accents, lamps, and chandeliers
Elements of English Country DecorEnglish country-style decor, on the other hand, is more about creating a refined and classic interior that exudes warmth and charm. The style is both comfortable and elegant at the same time. The materials used are of high quality, and the details and finishes are intricate and detailed. Some common elements of English country style decor include:
- Rich, warm colors such as reds, greens, blues and browns
- Floral prints and botanical designs
- Antique furniture and decor items, such as grandfather clocks and antique mirrors
- Pictures of horses, hunting scenes, and dogs