- Painting an accent wall with a bold color
- Installing shelves or storage space in a closet or garage
- Laying decorative tiles in a bathroom or kitchen
- Creating a vertical garden using recycled materials
- Upcycling furniture to give it a fresh, new look
The appeal of DIY for young adultsThe idea of crafting something with your own hands and seeing the fruits of your labor in action can be immensely satisfying. This appeal is especially strong for younger adults who are often seeking new and exciting ways to express their creativity and personal style. There is also a sense of independence and self-sufficiency that comes with DIY projects, which is attractive to this age group as they are often just starting out in their adult lives and seeking to establish themselves.
Some of the main reasons why young adults are drawn to DIY include:
- Cost savings: DIY projects can be significantly cheaper than hiring a professional.
- Customization: Younger adults often have fresh and innovative ideas for how to personalize their living spaces.
- Learning opportunities: DIY projects provide a chance to learn new skills and expand one’s knowledge base.
- Social media: The prevalence of social media has made it easier than ever to find inspiration and share DIY projects with others.
DIY as a popular trend among the 18-24 age groupAccording to the national panel research, the 18-24 age group is the most likely demographic to use DIY for home renovations when moving into a new home. This trend is likely due in part to the fact that younger adults are frequently renting apartments or moving frequently, which requires quick, inexpensive and customizable home improvement solutions. DIY offers an affordable and satisfying way to personalize a living space and make it feel like home.
Furthermore, DIY projects have become increasingly popular over the past few years, particularly among younger generations. Reasons for this trend include:
- The availability of DIY resources and tutorials online and in stores.
- The rising popularity of minimalist and sustainable lifestyles that prioritize DIY and upcycling.
- The desire for individuals to express their creativity and individuality.