Understanding the 80 20 rule in furniture decorThe 80 20 rule in furniture decor is a principle that involves dividing your interior design space into two groups: 80 percent neutral shades and 20 percent bold patterns and colors. This rule is recommended by interior design experts, as it is a balanced and effective way to decorate any space. The neutral shades create a calming and versatile backdrop while the bold patterns and colors add a pop of personality and interest.
How to apply the 80 20 rule in your homeApplying the 80 20 rule in your home is relatively easy. The first step is to determine the percentage of space you want to dedicate to neutral shades and bold patterns and colors. Most experts advise that 80 percent of the living area should be decorated with neutral tones, while 20 percent should be left for bolder design choices. You can then start by selecting the neutral shades that will form the base of your design. The neutral shades work as a background and help to create a calming and relaxed atmosphere. Some of the popular neutral shades include creams, whites, beige, pale gray, and pastel shades. It is essential to select neutral shades that complement each other and your preferred style. Once you have your neutral shades in place, you can then choose the bold patterns and colors to add interest to your living space. The bold patterns and colors can be incorporated through furniture, wall decor, accessories, and even carpets. The key is to balance the bold patterns and colors with the neutral tones for a cohesive and stunning interior design.
The importance of neutral shades in interior designNeutral shades are an essential element of interior design. They create a calming and relaxed atmosphere that is ideal for a living space. Neutral tones are versatile, timeless and can complement any style of home decor.
Tips for choosing the perfect neutral shadesChoosing the perfect neutral shades for your interior design may seem like a daunting task. Here are some tips to help you select the perfect shades:
- Consider your style and the mood you want to create
- View the shades in natural and artificial light to see how they will appear in different settings
- Think of the other colors in your design and how the neutral shades will complement them
- Don’t be afraid to mix different shades of neutrals to add depth and dimension
The impact of bold patterns and colors in your homeBold patterns and colors can add personality and interest to your interior design. They can create a focal point in a room and add a touch of drama, texture, and style. Bold patterns and colors can also reflect your personality and taste, making your living space unique and customized. However, bold patterns and colors can be overwhelming and chaotic if not used wisely. It is essential to balance the bold patterns and colors with the neutral tones for a cohesive and harmonious interior design.
Ideas for incorporating bold patterns and colors in your 20% spaceHere are some ideas for incorporating bold patterns and colors in your 20% space:
- Add a bold patterned carpet or rug to a neutral living room
- Use bold throw pillows or cushions on a neutral-colored sofa or armchair
- Choose a colorful accent wall in a neutral-colored bedroom
- Add bold artwork or wall decor to a neutral-colored dining room
Common mistakes to avoid when practicing the 80 20 ruleAs with any interior design principle, there are common mistakes to avoid when practicing the 80 20 rule. Some of these mistakes include:
- Going overboard with bold patterns and colors in your 20% space
- Choosing neutral shades that clash with bold patterns and colors
- Ignoring the importance of balance between the neutral shades and bold patterns and colors
- Not considering the functionality and practicality of your design choices