What is the 70 30 Rule in Decorating Your Home?

The 70 30 rule in decorating is a popular technique used by interior designers to create a visually appealing space. Essentially, this rule suggests dividing a room into a 70:30 ratio and decorating 70 percent of the space with an anchor scheme while using a different design or styles for the remaining 30 percent. Here are some examples of how to apply the 70 30 rule in decorating:
  • Use a neutral color palette as the anchor scheme for your walls, ceiling, and floors. Add pops of color and texture with accent pieces such as rugs, throw pillows, and curtains.
  • Create a focal point in the room such as a fireplace, artwork, or statement piece of furniture. Decorate around this focal point using complementary colors and styles for the remaining 30 percent of the space.
  • In a bedroom, use a solid colored comforter or duvet cover as the anchor scheme for the bedding. Add interest to the space with patterned throw pillows and a different pattern for the curtains or drapes.
  • Overall, the 70 30 rule in decorating is a great way to balance a space and create a cohesive look while still allowing for some creativity and personal style.

    Understanding the 70 30 rule in decorating

    Decorating a space can be a daunting task, but with the 70 30 rule, it becomes a lot easier. This rule dictates that when a room is being decorated, 70% of the design should consist of a foundation or anchor scheme while the remaining 30% can be a different design or style. The purpose of this rule is to create a cohesive and balanced look in a space. It also allows freedom to incorporate different design elements without overwhelming the overall look of a room.
    Interesting Read  What is Rustic Scandinavian Charm for Interior Design?
    The 70 30 rule can be applied to any design scheme, whether it’s a traditional, modern, or eclectic style. It’s important to note that the 70 30 rule doesn’t mean that 70% of the room has to be painted or decorated in the same color. The foundation or anchor scheme can be a combination of colors, textures, patterns, and materials that serve as a base for the overall style of the space. The remaining 30% is where you can get creative and add some personality to the space. This is where you can play with contrasting colors, patterns, or materials that complement the foundation scheme. The goal is to create a harmonious balance between the two parts of the room.

    Using the interior designer’s 70:30 ratio for decorating

    Interior designers use the 70 30 rule often in their designs because it offers a guideline for space planning. The rule ensures that a room looks polished and cohesive by keeping the design elements focused. Designers often use the 70 30 rule to guide the use of color in a space. For example, if a designer is working with a muted color palette, they might use a bold accent color for the remaining 30%. The accent color can be used in small doses such as throw pillows, rugs, or artwork. This not only adds interest to the space but also adds a touch of personality.

    Breaking down the space into a 70:30 ratio

    Before starting the decorating process with the 70 30 rule, it’s essential to break down the space and have a plan in place. This will help you visualize how the space will look once the design is complete.
    Interesting Read  What Decor Styles Never Go Out of Style?
    Start by dividing the room into two parts: the foundation or anchor scheme (70%) and the additional design elements (30%). You can do this by using pieces of furniture, area rugs, or contrasting wall colors. Once you have divided the room, it’s time to decide on the foundation or anchor scheme. This can include choosing a color palette, selecting furniture pieces, and determining the overall style of the space.

    Decorating 70% of the room with the anchor scheme

    Now that you have the foundation in place, it’s time to start decorating. The first step is to focus on the anchor scheme and ensure that it’s well-represented throughout the space. This can be done by painting the walls in a foundational color, selecting furniture pieces that align with the style and color palette, or incorporating accessories that complement the scheme. When implementing the foundation scheme, it’s important to remember that it doesn’t have to be rigid. Adding variety to the foundational color by incorporating textures and materials can add depth and visual interest to the space.

    Adding a different design or style to the remaining 30%

    Once the anchor scheme is in place, it’s time to move on to the remaining 30%. This is where you can get creative and have fun with the design. Consider contrasting colors or patterns, using a different style of furniture or decor, or playing with different textures or materials. The goal is to add interest to the space without clashing with the foundation scheme.

    Achieving visual appeal with the 70 30 decorating rule

    The 70 30 decorating rule is an excellent way to achieve a cohesive, visually appealing look in any room. By dividing the space into a 70:30 ratio and focusing on the foundational scheme first, you can create a design that is both balanced and personalized.
    Interesting Read  What Decorating Colors Will Rule in 2023?
    Remember that the 70 30 rule is simply a guideline, and it’s okay to get creative and deviate from the rule slightly. However, keeping the rule in mind can help you stay focused and prevent the space from becoming cluttered or overwhelming. With a little bit of planning and creativity, you can achieve a stunning space that reflects your personal style.

    Previous Article

    What is the most aesthetic color ever? Tips to elevate your home and garden.

    Next Article

    What's the Best Way to Insulate Your Interior Walls?

    Related Posts