Grandma beach chic, also referred to as the coastal grandmother aesthetic, is a home decor style that takes inspiration from the luxurious and timeless style of middle-aged, affluent women who reside in seaside homes. This aesthetic perfectly captures the essence of a graceful life by the ocean, just like the one portrayed by Diane Keaton’s character in the Nancy Meyers film, ‘Something’s Gotta Give,’ set in the beautiful Hamptons.
To get the coastal-grandmother look at home, here are some key elements to keep in mind:
Overall, grandma beach chic is a style that evokes a sense of comfort, luxury, and tranquility. By following these distinct features, anyone can achieve this coastal-grandmother look in their home.
The Inspiration Behind Coastal Grandmother Aesthetic
The Coastal Grandmother Aesthetic, also known as Grandma beach Chic, is a style that draws inspiration from the luxurious lifestyles of middle-aged, wealthy women who live in lavish homes with oceanfront views. This aesthetic is all about embracing the sophisticated and traditional style elements that these women often gravitate towards, and blending them seamlessly with the laid-back and stunning natural surroundings of coastal living.
Some of the key inspirations for this aesthetic can be traced back to Diane Keaton’s character in the Nancy Meyers film, Something’s Gotta Give, which was set in the Hamptons. Her classic and timeless style, which included chic white oversized shirts and tailored pants, serves as a perfect example of the coastal grandmother aesthetic. Additionally, the stunning coastal landscapes and refreshing ocean breezes of coastal towns provide the perfect backdrop for this refined yet relaxed style.
Elements of Traditional Style in Coastal Grandmother Aesthetic
The traditional style elements of coastal grandmother aesthetic are crucial in achieving this sophisticated look. These include grand and oversized furniture pieces such as wingback chairs, tufted sofas, and oversized ottomans. These furniture pieces should be made with high-quality fabrics like linen, wool, or velvet to create an elegant and refined look.
Additionally, traditional elements like antique finishes, architectural details, and intricate woodwork can add timeless elegance and sophistication to any coastal grandmother-inspired home. And for the finishing touches, the use of elegant lighting fixtures, like chandeliers or antique lamps, can complete the look.
Some traditional style elements to consider in achieving a coastal grandmother aesthetic include:
- Oversized furniture pieces
- High-quality fabrics like linen and wool
- Antique finishes and architectural details
- Use of elegant lighting fixtures
How Coastal Grandmother Aesthetic Incorporates Oceanfront Views
Incorporating oceanfront views into the coastal grandmother aesthetic is all about creating a seamless transition between the interior and exterior living spaces of a home. This can be achieved through the use of large windows, glass doors, and open floor plans that allow natural light to flood into the living spaces.
To fully embrace the coastal grandmother aesthetic, it is essential to incorporate elements from the outdoors in terms of texture and color. Coastal-inspired textures, such as sea grass rugs, woven furniture, and nautical fabrics, can help to create a relaxed yet refined atmosphere. Additionally, the use of color palettes inspired by the ocean, including shades of blue and green, can be used to create a harmonious connection between the interior and exterior spaces.
Here are some tips for incorporating oceanfront views into your coastal grandmother-inspired home:
- Use large windows and glass doors to incorporate natural light
- Incorporate coastal-inspired textures like sea grass and nautical fabrics
- Use ocean-inspired color palettes to create a harmonious link between indoor and outdoor spaces
The Role of Wealth in Coastal Grandmother Aesthetic
The role of wealth plays a significant role in achieving the coastal grandmother aesthetic. To create this luxurious look, it is essential to invest in high-quality and expensive pieces that exude elegance and high-end fashion. This expensive taste can be reflected in the furniture choice, artwork, and decor pieces. However, it is essential to invest wisely, as cheaper knockoff pieces may look similar but lack the quality and longevity of the real thing.
Keep in mind these tips when looking to achieve the coastal grandmother aesthetic:
- Invest in high-quality, expensive pieces to create a luxurious look
- Focus on quality over quantity when selecting furniture and decor pieces
- Avoid cheaper knockoffs, as they lack the quality and longevity of the real thing
Decorating Tips for Achieving a Coastal Grandmother Aesthetic
When decorating your home in Coastal Grandmother Aesthetic, there are certain tips you can follow to ensure you achieve the elegant, refined, and relaxed ambiance that the style exudes. Here are a few simple decorating tips you can consider:
Decorating tips to consider when achieving Coastal Grandmother Aesthetic style include:
- Choose neutral and muted color palettes, like whites, blues, and greens, to create a relaxed atmosphere
- Incorporate antiques, vintage pieces, and natural elements like wood and plants to create a timeless effect
- Choose high-quality furniture pieces made with fine materials to create a luxurious feel in your home
- Combine traditional and modern elements in your decor and furniture to create a transitional, yet classic style
The Color Palette of Coastal Grandmother Aesthetic
The color palette of Coastal Grandmother Aesthetic is a combination of neutral and muted colors that are inspired by the natural hues of the ocean. White, beige, blue, and green are popular colors to incorporate into this aesthetic, creating a serene and calming ambiance.
When incorporating these colors into a room, try to use them in varying shades and tones. For example, combining different shades of blue, with white or beige, can create a soft, calming atmosphere. Additionally, balance is important – too many bold colors can detract from the refined and relaxed ambiance you are aiming to create.
Consider these simple tips when choosing your color palette:
- Choose neutral and muted colors inspired by the natural hues of the ocean
- Use varying shades and tones to create a soft and calming ambiance
- Use color in moderation to avoid overwhelming the space
Accessorizing Your Home in Coastal Grandmother Style
When accessorizing your home in Coastal Grandmother Style, consider pieces that create a timeless and refined look. Using natural elements like wood, plants, and stones can provide a calming and relaxed ambiance, while vintage and antique pieces add to the traditional charm. Incorporating nautical details, like anchors and ropes, can also provide an easy way to add a coastal feel to your home.
Simple accessorizing tips to follow for Coastal Grandmother style include:
- Incorporate natural elements like wood, plants, and stones for a calming ambiance
- Introduce vintage and antique pieces to create a traditional yet transitional style
- Choose nautical details like anchors and ropes to add a coastal feel to your home
- Incorporate artwork and decor pieces that create a refined and elegant atmosphere
Overall, the Coastal Grandmother Aesthetic is a style that creates an elegant, refined, and relaxed ambiance inspired by the luxurious lifestyles of middle-aged, wealthy women who live in lavish homes with oceanfront views. By embracing traditional style elements, incorporating oceanfront views, investing in quality pieces, choosing the right color palettes, and accessorizing your home with refined elegance, you can achieve this effortlessly chic style in your own home.