What is Cottagecore and its originsCottagecore is an aesthetic that values a simple and traditional life. It features an appreciation for vintage items, countryside living, and rustic elements. The term ‘cottagecore’ can be traced back to 2018 when it was coined by Tumblr users. It then gained popularity on TikTok in 2020, where it was associated with peaceful and idyllic lifestyles that celebrated the simplicity of rural life.
Exploring the elements of CottagecoreThe cottagecore aesthetic has several key elements that are essential to creating the look. Elements of Cottagecore aesthetic include:
- Floral patterns and vintage textiles
- Handmade goods such as pottery, quilts, and crochet items
- Simple, rustic furniture
- Natural elements such as plants, dried flowers, and branches
- Vintage or handmade accessories like baskets, wooden boxes, candles, and lanterns
- Pastel colors including soft pinks, greens, yellow, and blues
Differences between Cottagecore and FairycoreWhile Cottagecore and Fairycore share many similarities, there are some noticeable differences between the two aesthetics. Those who identify with Fairycore often include mythical creatures like fairies, unicorns, and mermaids in their style. They often decorate their space with twinkling fairy lights and crystals and they feature a lot of pastel colors such as pink and blue. Cottagecore, on the other hand, focuses on rustic and simple living. While there may be some natural elements like plants and flowers in a Fairycore-inspired space, they won’t be as prominent as in Cottagecore. Instead, the focus in Cottagecore is on living a quiet and peaceful life. The two aesthetics can be mistaken for each other because the color palettes are similar, but they have very distinctive differences.
The controversy surrounding the magic of CottagecoreOne aspect of the Cottagecore aesthetic that has caused some controversy is the magical elements associated with it. While some people who embrace Cottagecore might use faeries, dragons, or witches to add a fantastical element to their spaces, others feel there should be no room for them in a contemporary world. The controversy surrounding the use of magic in Cottagecore brings into question how to embrace the aesthetics of Cottagecore without appropriating old-fashioned and potentially harmful tropes. Critics argue that too often, this romanticization of a bygone era of supposed purity can have an air of exclusivity to people who don’t fit those limited images.
How to incorporate Cottagecore into your home and gardenIncorporating Cottagecore into your home and garden is easy and can be achieved by mixing vintage pieces and accessories with natural elements and a few handmade products. Here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Add faux flowery wallpaper in your living room to increase the sense of a greenery environment.
- Display antique crockery and repurpose old wooden crates or furniture as storage or add a shabby chicness to it.
- For a noticeable change, add some rugged and rough-looking furniture to contrast the soft colors of the Cottagecore aesthetics, to give your place a rustic or charming look.
- Display some dried flowers in vintage vases or jars giving them a new purpose for creating personalized decorations.
- No Cottagecore aesthetic is complete without incorporating a lot of botanical hues.