- Large floor plans: European farmhouse style often features large floor plans that allow for open spaces and comfortable living.
- Open porches: Porches are an important aspect of European farmhouse design, and they are often used as outdoor living spaces for entertaining and relaxing.
- Mudrooms: Mudrooms are a practical addition to the European farmhouse design, providing storage and space for removing dirty shoes and clothing before entering the house.
- Large kitchens with open shelving: European farmhouse kitchens are often the heart of the home, with large open spaces for cooking and entertaining. Open shelves and rustic cabinetry create a classic farmhouse look.
- Arched doors: Arched doors add elegance and charm to the European farmhouse style, creating a sense of history and tradition.
- Diamond grid windows: Diamond grid windows are a common feature of European farmhouse design, adding a touch of old-world charm and character to the home.
- Exposed wood beams: Exposed wood beams are a classic feature of European farmhouse design, offering a rustic and cozy feeling to the home.
The Fusion of American and European Design in European Farmhouse StyleWhen it comes to European farmhouse style, it’s important to note that a large portion of its design borrows heavily from that of the American style. This is because European farms and farmhouses today have largely been updated and renovated with modern amenities; it’s the American farmhouse style that hearkens back to the past and captures a sense of rustic charm. These two styles merge together in European farmhouse design to create a harmonious balance of both heritage and modernity. Large floor plans, open porches, and spacious kitchens with open shelving are all common features of European farmhouse style that have been borrowed from the American style. The end result is a design that feels classic yet refined, rustic yet luxurious.
Elements from the Past: Arched Doors, Diamond Grid Windows, and Exposed BeamsOne of the standout characteristics of European farmhouse style is the inclusion of design elements from the past. Arched doors, diamond grid windows, exposed beams, and other architectural details all contribute to the rustic beauty of European farmhouse interiors. When incorporating these elements into your own design, it’s important to ensure that they fit in with the overall aesthetic of the space. For example, arched doors with intricate woodwork may look out of place in a space that is otherwise simple and streamlined. On the other hand, exposed wooden beams can add warmth and character to any space. Some other elements that can add to the charm of European farmhouse style include:
- Antique furniture pieces with ornate detailing
- Distressed finishes on wooden surfaces
- Decorative tiles with intricate patterns