Understanding the basics of beach and nautical decorWhen it comes to decorating, there are many styles and themes to choose from. Two popular options for those who love the sea and all things coastal are beach and nautical decor. While both styles share some similarities, they have distinct differences that set them apart. The nautical design is heavily influenced by sailing and the nautical lifestyle. It is known for its use of stripes and navy blue, along with white, red, and accents of gold. This style is typically more formal than beach decor and includes elements like brass, rope, and anchors. In contrast, the coastal style is inspired by the natural surroundings of the beach and ocean. It employs beachy materials like driftwood, seashells, and sea glass, and is characterized by a light and airy feel with a soft color palette of pastels, white, and beige.
The unique features of nautical designNautical design is all about sailing and the open sea. It is elegant and timeless, with a focus on clean lines and classic shapes. The color palette is often comprised of navy blue and white, but can also include touches of red and gold. Brass fittings, rope, and anchors are common accents, along with wooden furniture and polished finishes. Nautical design embraces a sense of adventure and the spirit of exploration. Key elements of this style include porthole windows, ship’s wheels, and maps. The overall feel is sophisticated and masculine, but it can also be tempered with softer touches like throw pillows and nautical-themed artwork.
Incorporating stripes and navy blue in your decorNavy blue and white stripes are an iconic feature of nautical design. They evoke a sense of the sea and give a nod to the classic styles of sailors and seafarers. Incorporating these elements into your decor can be done in a number of ways. Here are some ideas:
- Choose navy blue and white striped curtains or bedding for a nautical-inspired bedroom.
- Add a navy blue and white striped rug to your living room for a classic look.
- Use navy blue and white striped throw pillows to add a pop of nautical style to any room.
- Hang navy blue and white striped wallpaper in a small bathroom or powder room for a bold statement.
The essence of coastal style in home decorationCoastal style is all about creating a relaxed and casual atmosphere in your home. This style emphasizes natural materials and light colors, with a focus on the beach and ocean. Soft pastels, white, and beige are common color choices, along with touches of green and blue. Key features of coastal style include driftwood, seashells, and other natural materials found on the beach. Wicker furniture, linen bedding, and sheer curtains create a light and airy feel. Coastal decor is often inspired by the beach and ocean, with artwork featuring shells, starfish, and sand dollars.
Using beachy materials to enhance your decorBeachy materials are the key to achieving the coastal look in your home. These elements bring the outdoors inside and create a natural and inviting atmosphere. Here are some ideas for incorporating beachy materials into your decor:
- Add a driftwood mirror or coffee table to your living space for a rustic touch.
- Use seashells to create a beachy centerpiece on your dining table or mantle.
- Hang artwork featuring the ocean or beach in your home.
- Accessorize with throw pillows featuring beachy designs like coral or starfish.
How to mimic natural surroundings with coastal decorCoastal decor is all about emulating the natural surroundings of the beach and ocean. There are several ways to do this in your home. Here are some ideas:
- Use natural materials like linen, cotton, and jute in your textiles to create a beachy feel.
- Add plants and succulents to your space to bring in some greenery and mimic the natural surroundings of the beach.
- Hang sheer curtains to let in natural light and create a breezy feel.
- Use soft lighting like lamps and string lights to create a warm and inviting atmosphere.