If you are looking to update your home decor, it’s important to know what design elements to avoid that can instantly make your house look dated. Here are some common home decor choices that can make your home look old-fashioned:
By avoiding these common mistakes and focusing on more timeless design choices, you can give your home a fresh and modern look that will stand the test of time. Simple touches like a fresh coat of paint or updated wallpaper can go a long way in revitalizing your space and making it feel more up-to-date.
What Home Decor Makes Your House Look Dated?
When it comes to home decor, there are certain mistakes that can make your house look outdated and unattractive. Whether it’s scuffs on the walls or outdated paint colors, these small things can add up and give your home an old-fashioned feel. If you’re looking to refresh your space and bring it up-to-date, it’s important to avoid these common decor mistakes.
Wall Decor Mistakes that Make Your Home Look Dated
Having scuffs, marks, and scratches on your walls can make your home look old and unkempt. It’s important to keep your walls looking fresh by painting them every few years and filling in any scratches or holes. Additionally, hanging outdated wall decor like tapestries, busy patterned wallpaper, and vintage posters can instantly make your home look dated.
Here are some wall decor mistakes to avoid:
- Hanging old family photos in mismatched frames
- Displaying overly trendy, printed canvas art
- Using animal prints or bold geometric patterns on your walls
Outdated Paint Colors that Instantly Age Your Home
Paint colors can have a big impact on the overall look and feel of your home. Certain colors that were popular in the past may no longer be considered fashionable and can make your home look dated. For example, dark maroon or beige paint colors from decades ago can instantly age your home.
Here are some outdated paint colors to avoid:
- Dark, rich colors like hunter green or burgundy
- Flesh tones or muddy beige shades
- Bright, neon colors like hot pink or lime green
Dated Wallpaper Trends to Avoid in Your Home
While wallpaper can add texture and interest to your walls, there are certain trends that have become outdated and can age your home. If you have outdated wallpaper in your home, consider removing it or updating it with a modern pattern or texture.
Here are some dated wallpaper trends to avoid:
- Floral or paisley prints from the 80s and 90s
- Era-specific prints like geometric patterns from the 70s or plaid from the 90s
- Bright, bold colors or metallic finishes
The Wrong Furniture Choices that Could Date Your Home
While you may have invested in high-quality furniture, certain styles or pieces can easily give your home an outdated look. Choosing furniture that is too trendy or doesn’t match the overall style of your home can instantly date your space.
Here are some furniture choices that could date your home:
- Heavy, ornate wood furniture from the 80s or 90s
- Leather furniture in bold colors or overly distressed finishes
- Matched sets of furniture in the same style or color
Lighting Decisions That May Make Your Home Appear Out of Style
Lighting can make a huge difference in the overall ambiance of your home. While certain lighting trends can be stylish and modern, there are other trends that have become outdated and can age your home. Choosing the wrong lighting can make your home appear old-fashioned and uninviting.
Here are some lighting decisions to avoid:
- Brass or gold finish light fixtures from the 80s or 90s
- Fluorescent lighting or overly bright overhead lights
- Hanging chandeliers or wall sconces that are too ornate or glitzy
How Clutter Can Make Your Home Look Dated and Unattractive
One of the biggest mistakes you can make in home decor is allowing clutter to accumulate in your space. Cluttered, disorganized homes can instantly make your home look dated and unattractive. It’s important to regularly declutter and organize your home to keep it looking fresh and modern.
Here are some tips for avoiding clutter:
- Get rid of items you no longer use or need
- Organize your belongings with storage containers or shelving
- Keep surfaces clean and free of unnecessary objects
By avoiding these common home decor mistakes, you can keep your home looking fresh and modern for years to come. Whether it’s updating your paint colors, furniture, or lighting, small changes can make a big impact on the overall style of your home.