The common mistake of hanging pictures above a TVWe’ve all seen it before: a TV mounted on the wall with pictures and artwork hanging above it. While it may seem like a good idea to fill up empty wall space, this arrangement is not always visually appealing or practical. In fact, it can often be distracting and make your living room feel cluttered and disorganized. Furthermore, hanging pictures too high above the TV can strain your neck and lead to discomfort while watching your favorite shows and movies.
Proper height placement for your TV on the wallTo avoid the mistake of hanging pictures above your TV, it’s important to consider the proper height placement for your TV on the wall. A general rule of thumb is that the center of the TV screen should be at eye level when you’re sitting down. This will help reduce eye and neck strain, and make your viewing experience more comfortable. If you have a TV console, you can hang your artwork just a few inches above it, around 6-12 inches, depending on the size of your TV. This will create a more balanced and cohesive look for your living room.
Alternatives to hanging pictures above a TVIf you’re looking to fill up empty wall space without hanging pictures above your TV, there are plenty of alternatives to consider. Here are a few ideas:
- Wall shelves: Install wall shelves to display your favorite books, plants, and other decorative objects.
- Floating cabinets: A floating cabinet can provide additional storage space and serve as a decorative element on your wall.
- Gallery wall: Create a gallery wall with a mix of photographs, paintings, and other artwork in different sizes and frames.
Creating a balanced display in your living roomWhen it comes to decorating your living room, it’s important to create a balanced display that is visually appealing and functional. One way to achieve this is through the proper arrangement of your furniture and artwork. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Consider scale: Choose artwork and furniture that is proportional to the size of your living room.
- Think about color: Use color to create a cohesive look for your living room. Choose artwork and furniture that complement each other.
- Use symmetry: Symmetry can create a formal and balanced look. Try placing two identical pieces of artwork on either side of your TV or mantel.
Choosing the right size artwork for your spaceChoosing the right size artwork for your space is crucial to creating a visually appealing display. Here are a few tips to help you choose the right size:
- Consider the wall space: Choose artwork that is proportionate to the size of the wall space you’re decorating.
- Keep it simple: Don’t overcrowd your wall with too many small pieces of artwork. One or two larger pieces can have a bigger impact.
- Think about balance: If you’re creating a gallery wall, mix and match different sizes and shapes to create a balanced display.
Maximizing the impact of your artwork with proper placementProper placement of your artwork can make all the difference in creating a visually appealing display. Here are a few tips:
- Hang artwork at eye level: Hanging artwork too high or too low can make it difficult to appreciate. The center of the artwork should be at eye level when you’re standing in front of it.
- Consider negative space: Leave some negative space around your artwork to help it stand out and make a statement.
- Use groupings: Grouping artwork together can create a bigger impact than hanging individual pieces separately.