Bringing in Spanish-Inspired Terracotta CeramicsTerracotta ceramics are an essential component of Spanish-style decor, adding warmth and texture to any room. You can start small with a few terracotta vases or pots in various sizes or go all-out with an accent wall of hand-painted tiles. Here are some ways to incorporate terracotta ceramics into your home:
- Display ceramics on open shelves: Create a feature wall by arranging pieces of pottery on open shelves. Be sure to vary the shapes, sizes, and textures for maximum impact.
- Use terracotta flooring: Terracotta floor tiles are a quintessential feature of Spanish villas. They are durable, practical, and add warmth and character to a room.
- Add a terracotta backsplash: A tiled backsplash made from terracotta is both practical and decorative. Choose a patterned design for an added element of interest.
Incorporating Dark Wood and Iron FixturesDark wood and iron fixtures are essential features of Spanish homes. They add a rustic, timeless feel to any room and look great in combination with other elements of Spanish-style decor.
- Use wrought iron light fixtures: Wrought iron chandeliers and pendant lights are a popular feature in Spanish-style homes. They add a dramatic element to any room, and complement dark wood features perfectly.
- Choose dark wood furniture: Dark wood furniture, such as dining tables, chairs, and bookcases, are classic features of Spanish-style decor. Opt for pieces with simple, clean lines for a modern twist.
- Add iron accents: Iron accents, such as candlesticks, picture frames, and wall art, add a decorative touch to any room. Look for pieces with intricate details and scrollwork.
Creating an Inviting Entryway with ArchesArches are a key feature of Spanish-style architecture, providing an inviting, welcoming feel. They are used to frame doors, windows, and walkways, and create an element of grandeur.
- Frame your doorway: Add a touch of Spanish elegance to your home by framing your front doorway with an arch. This can be accomplished with decorative moldings or a curved piece of wood.
- Add an archway: If you have an open space in your home, consider adding an archway. It will create an element of visual interest and make the space feel more grandiose.
- Accentuate existing features: If you have existing arches in your home, be sure to accentuate them. Paint the trim and molding in a contrasting color to make the arch stand out.
Enhancing the Look with Exposed BeamsExposed beams are another key feature of Spanish-style decor. They add a warm, rustic feel to any room and can be incorporated in a variety of ways.
- Expose your ceiling beams: If you have wooden beams in your home, consider exposing them to add character and warmth to a room. Paint them in a contrasting color for added impact.
- Add faux beams: If you don’t have exposed beams, consider adding faux beams to your ceiling. They can be made from a variety of materials, such as wood or styrofoam, and can be painted or stained to match your decor.
Choosing Delicate Patterns and FabricsDelicate patterns and fabrics are a hallmark of Spanish-style decor. Think floral prints, paisleys, and intricate geometric patterns.
- Choose patterned textiles: Opt for patterned textiles, such as curtains, throw pillows, and tablecloths, to add visual interest to a room.
- Mix and match patterns: Don’t be afraid to mix and match different patterns, as long as they share a color scheme. This will add depth and interest to your decor.
- Choose textured fabrics: Fabrics with texture, such as linen or cotton, add a tactile element to a room.
Adding Warmth with Earthy TonesEarthy tones, such as warm browns, terracotta, and rust, are a key feature of Spanish-style decor. They add a cozy, inviting feel to any room.
- Add a warm accent wall: Choose a warm, earthy tone for an accent wall, such as rust or terracotta, to add warmth and depth to your decor.
- Incorporate warm-toned decor: Choose decor items, such as candles, picture frames, and throw blankets, in warm tones to add a cozy feel to your home.
Creating a Cozy Outdoor Space with Spanish FlairFinally, don’t forget to incorporate Spanish-style decor into your outdoor space. This will help create a relaxing, inviting environment that will make you feel like you’re on vacation.
- Add an outdoor fireplace: An outdoor fireplace is the perfect way to add warmth and ambiance to your outdoor space. Choose a design that fits with the Spanish architecture of your home.
- Add Spanish-style outdoor furniture: Opt for dark wood or iron outdoor furniture with cushions in warm, earthy tones. Add decorative pillows for added comfort and style.
- Use potted plants: Potted plants, such as succulents, add a touch of greenery to your outdoor space. Opt for terracotta pots for a true Spanish feel.