The importance of having an outdoor kitchen electrical outletAn outdoor kitchen can provide an ideal setting for social gatherings, family meals, and backyard barbecues. It eliminates the need for running back and forth to the house to use kitchen appliances. However, one of the most important aspects of an outdoor kitchen is electrical power. Outdoor electrical outlets will help in powering appliances and lighting, be it a blender, a refrigerator, or even a hot plate.
DIY vs hiring a professional electrician for the installationSo, you’ve decided to set up an outdoor kitchen in your backyard. The next step in the process is to install an electrical outlet to power the appliances. At this point, you may be wondering whether you should hire a professional electrician to do the job or whether you should do it yourself. The decision ultimately comes down to your comfort level with electrical work, time, and budget.
Materials required for installing an outdoor kitchen electrical outletBefore you begin installing an outdoor kitchen electrical outlet, you need to gather the materials that will be required. Here are some of the most important materials you will need:
- Outdoor electrical box
- Circuit breaker
- NM cable
- Wire staples
- Junction box
- GFCI outlet
Steps involved in installing an electrical outlet on your ownIf you are comfortable with electrical work, you can install an electrical outlet on your own. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Choose a location for the electrical outlet. The location should be close to the outdoor kitchen and easily accessible.
- Install an outdoor electrical box. This will protect the outlet from weather conditions.
- Run a cable from the electrical box into your home’s circuit breaker box. This should be done according to local building codes and safety standards.
- Connect the wire to the circuit breaker.
- Install a junction box. This will connect the cable from the circuit breaker to the outlet.
- Attach the GFCI outlet to the junction box.
- Connect the wires to the GFCI outlet according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Add a weatherproof sealant around the outlet.