Factors affecting the installation time of a whole house water filtration systemThe duration of installing a whole house water filtration system can vary based on several factors. A crucial determinant is the size of the house. A larger home with more bathrooms and greater water usage would require more extensive filtration systems, increasing the installation time. Another aspect to consider is the type of filtration system and the complexity of the installation process. Some systems might require more preparation, plumbing parts, and advanced tools, consequently prolonging the installation period. Additionally, the experience level of the installer plays a critical role in determining the installation time. If you are hiring a professional plumber or an inexperienced DIYer, the duration of the installation project differs significantly.
Preparation before installing a whole house water filtration systemBefore installing a whole house water filtration system, some essential preparations need to be made. Firstly, choose a suitable location for the filtration system. The system placement should be as close as possible to the water source inlet and should be installed before the water heater. Since the filtration system will require maintenance, choose an accessible location, preferably near a drain. You might also need to install an additional electrical outlet near the system location. Secondly, you’ll need to purchase the filtration system components, such as the filter, valves, brackets, fittings, and pipes. Ensure you have all the necessary components before starting the installation process.
Tools needed to install a whole house water filtration systemTo install a whole house water filtration system, you’ll need several tools to make the process easier. Although the exact tools required may vary depending on the specific filtration system, here are some essential tools to consider:
- Adjustable wrenches
- Pipe cutters
- Teflon tape
- Drill and drill bits
- Tubing cutter
- Channel locks
- Measuring tape
Step-by-step guide to installing a whole house water filtration systemHere is a step-by-step guide on how to install a whole house water filtration system:
- Turn off the main water line and empty the water pipes by opening all the faucets in your home
- Choose a suitable location and mount the filter bracket mount using screws
- Attach the filter onto the bracket mount and connect it to the main water line
- Connect the outlet of the filtration system to the water entering your home using copper or PEX tubing
- Install a bypass valve if required by the filtration system
- Turn on the main water supply and check for leaks, if any, tighten all the fittings accordingly
- Run a few gallons of water through the filtration system to remove any debris before use.