Introduction to CottagecoreCottagecore is a trend that has taken the home and fashion industries by storm. It emulates a simpler and more idyllic way of life, with a focus on the harmony between human and nature. This trend has recently grown in popularity due to its cozy, warm, and inviting aesthetic, which provides a perfect escape from the stresses of everyday life. Cottagecore is all about finding joy in the little things, such as tending to plants, baking bread, and enjoying the countryside.
Incorporating Floral and Botanical DesignsFloral and botanical designs are a key aspect of the cottagecore aesthetic. Incorporating these motifs into your home and wardrobe is a great way to create a striking cottage-style look. Some ways you can add botanical and floral designs into your décor include:
- Investing in botanical art or floral prints for your walls
- Adding flowers or plants to your windowsill, coffee table, or bedside table
- Using floral patterned throw pillows, curtains, or bedding
- Decorating with natural elements such as branches or twine
Adding Animals to Your DecorAnother way to incorporate the cottagecore look is to add animal motifs to your décor. Animal-inspired décor adds a whimsical and charming touch to any room. You can find animal-inspired décor items such as:
- Animal printed textiles, such as blankets and pillows
- Decorative animal figurines for your shelves or fireplace mantel
- Rustic wooden birdhouses for you to place outdoors on trees or hung around your patio
- Adding natural looking antlers or faux taxidermy to your wall decor
Natural Hues for Your Home and WardrobeTo truly embrace the cottagecore aesthetic, you should prioritize using natural hues in your wardrobe and home decor. Cottagecore is all about being close to nature, and therefore tones such as earthy greens, soft yellows, creamy whites, and burnt oranges can be seen regularly in cottages. Using natural hues provides a calming and peaceful atmosphere to your space. It’s important to focus on layering fabrics and textures when choosing your color scheme. For example, enhance your sofa with warm, pastel-toned throw pillows, or layer your bed with a waffle-textured blanket and a quilt.
Incorporating Cozy DecorCottagecore is all about creating a cozy atmosphere. Soft lighting, plush fabrics, and ample amounts of pillows should be the focus when incorporating cozy home decor. To add an essence of coziness, here are a few of our favorite tips:
- Place soft throw pillows around your living room to easily add a comfy touch
- Add floor-based seating, such as poufs or floor cushions, to create a cozy retreat
- Using stacked or vintage wooden crates as shelving is a prime example of combining rustic beauty with a functional storage solution
- Find baskets and storage containers made out of natural materials such as wicker or rattan to add a touch of nature to your space
Delicate Clothing for a Cottage LookTo complete the cottagecore look, incorporate delicate clothing pieces into your wardrobe, such as crocheted cardigans and lace dresses. These items exude the charming and folksy feel of cottagecore, and pair perfectly with simple and dainty accessories. Incorporate these clothing items into your wardrobe:
- Soft and delicate dresses
- Flowing skirts in muted tones and soft fabrics
- Cozy or chunky knit cardigans and sweaters
- Loose cotton or linen tops in earthy hues
- Accessorize with hats, scarves, and jewelry made out of natural materials such as straw, hemp, or wood
Creating a Cozy Atmosphere with Fairy LightsFairy lights can be used to complement any cottagecore aesthetic. They provide a warm and comfortable atmosphere when placed in the right way. Fairy lights are best used in areas such as your outdoor pergola, or indoor fireplace mantel or bookcase to create a charming and relaxed setting.
Additional ways to incorporate fairy lights into your decor:
Interesting Read What kind of homes are southwest? Exploring architectural styles and design influences.
- String them around your windowpanes, using them as decorative curtains or valances
- Place them in a Mason jar and use them as a table centerpiece
- Hang them around your bed or within a canopy
- Twist them around the branches of your indoor plants to create a magical forest feel