Can I Just Replace an Interior Door? A Step-by-Step GuideAre you tired of looking at that old, worn-out interior door every time you walk into a room? It’s natural to want to replace something that has seen better days, but the thought of undertaking a home improvement project can be daunting. Fear not, for replacing an interior door is actually a fairly simple task that can be accomplished with just a few basic tools and a bit of know-how. In this article, we will walk you through the steps for replacing an interior door, from measuring to finishing touches.
Preparing for the First Step: MeasuringBefore you can begin the process of replacing your interior door, you need to make sure you have the right measurements. Here’s how to measure for a new door:
- Measure the height of the door from the top of the jamb to the floor.
- Measure the width of the door from one side of the jamb to the other.
- Measure the thickness of the door. This can vary, so be sure to take accurate measurements.
Removing the Old DoorThe first step in replacing your interior door is to remove the old one. This can be done in a few simple steps:
- Take off the hinges using a screwdriver or drill. There are usually three hinges: one at the top, one at the bottom, and one in the middle.
- Remove any screws or nails that are holding the door jamb in place.
- Remove the door from the frame, and set it aside.